Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Summer Fun Book Activities and Crafts!!

I'm sure many of you are either finished with the school year or very close to finishing up.  If you need a few more "summer" activities then keep reading.  These simple activities that go perfectly with "summer" themed books can also be used during ESY.  

First up is The Rainbow Fish craft which is perfect for preschool and elementary aged students.  I read the book to my groups of students and asked various "wh" questions.  Next, we got started with our craft.

Here is what you need: 
 The Rainbow Fish book, "fish" printable/coloring page, glue, pieces of tissue paper in various colors (pink, purple, blue), and pieces of tin foil.     
   
How to put it together:
Each student gets a "fish".  I printed mine on blue paper to cut down on time that would be spent coloring.  I had the students partner up and gave each pair a large handful of different colored tissue paper.  After all the colorful pieces were glued on, I handed out a few shiny tinfoil pieces to each student to glue on.  They really look beautiful and so similar to the "rainbow fish".

I'm sure you have heard of or read the book, There was an old lady who swallowed a shell! by Lucille Colandro.  There are so many activities and printables that go with this book.  Last school year I used some of the printables from the Beach Pack by 3 Dinosaurs.com.  You can head over to the website by clicking here.  One of the activities I used with my students was finding what is different.  We also worked on sorting and categorization which is included in the pack.  Finally, I used the sequencing cards after we finished reading the story. 

This year I will also be using the awesome pack from Jenn @ CrazySpeechWorld.  She has the cutest "Old Lady" packs which are filled with so many different activities.  I really like the printable game board that way I can vary the goals for each group.  You can head over to her TpT store to grab this pack.


 Lastly, this adorable "edible craft" is sure to be a hit!!  Ten Friendly Fish by Debbie Tarbett is an adorable book that your preschoolers and younger elementary school students are sure to love.  I came up with this fun and yummy craft to go with the book.

Here is what you need:
Paper plates, vanilla frosting/icing, blue food coloring, vanilla and/or chocolate goldfish, and popsicle sticks. 

How to put it together:
 I stirred in a few drops of the blue food coloring to the vanilla frosting container.  The whole idea is to make it look like the blue "sea".  Each student gets a small paper plate with some of the blue frosting and a popsicle stick.  I told them to spread the icing all over the plate and that it would act as the glue for the fish.  Next, every student got 10 chocolate or vanilla "fish" to place on top of their blue sea.  I think they came out adorable!!  Finally, everyone got to eat their "ten friendly fish"!!
I hope you all enjoy and are able to use some of these fun activities and crafts.

Kristine
Live Love Speech



1 comment:

  1. ADORABLE! Something I can use all year long! MAHALO NUI LOA for sharing! Aloha from the Big Island!

    ReplyDelete