Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Little Old Lady Who Wasn't Afraid of Anything Activities!

As some of you may know, I am expecting my first baby (It's a BOY!) and will be taking some time off from work and blogging before and after his arrival. During that time, there will be several guest bloggers/SLPs that will be featured on my blog. I am so excited to share all of the amazing, informative posts they have come up with. I can not thank them all enough for taking the time to write these posts! Just another one of the many reasons I love being part of the SLP world. I hope you all enjoy reading everything over the next several weeks. Please feel free to leave comments and post questions.
The next guest post is written by Felice at TheDabblingSpeechie! Enjoy!

little old lady 2
 Thanks Kristine for having me today! I use books in therapy a lot because it helps give me a starting point with therapy, especially with my language kids. Once I choose a book that I really enjoy, I spend some time dabbling on Pinterest and TPT looking for great materials & ideas for therapy! Today, I am going to share LOTS of ideas, and resources you can use in therapy with the book The Little Old Lady Who Wasn't Afraid of Anything By Linda Williams.
little old lady
guest post
Here is what I found online (BTW, most are FREE)!!
  • Chapel Hill Snippets found a great You Tube video on how you can read the book to your students. She also made some boardmaker visuals, which I am going to use with my non-verbal and limited language kiddos!
  • Toddler Approved did a Book of the week blog post on how to use to have fun with this book.
  • Playing With Words 365 has an awesome post about how she reads the book to her students. She also shares some cute extension activities and fun preschool aged songs you can sing after reading the story!
  • I found a Mini Unit on TPT from Relax With a Great Book that is FREE and has some great comprehension and writing activities.
TheLittleOldLadyWhoWasNotAfraidofAnythingSpeechLanguageCompanion_Page_01
  • Speech Language Pirates created a fun pack that I bought during the big Back To School TPT sale! It has great graphics and extension activities that tie in nicely with this fun story.
  • The Speech Path has a free Mini Book Tutorial on how to make your own mini story book. You can also access this FREE Minibook template that you could have your students make as a visual story book to help them with retelling the elements from the book. Have your students practice using adjectives to describe what the boots, shirts, pants, hat look like!
  • Grab your flashlight from home, and bring in real life story elements (i.e. jack o lantern, boots, shirt, etc). Turn out the lights in your room and read the book by flashlight. As you come across each story element, let one of your students try to find where the boots or shirt are located in the room. Only do this activity if your students are up for the adventure and won't be scared of the dark!
  • The Home Teacher has a lot of great ideas for scarecrow crafts to incorporate with the book!
What are some of the ways YOU use this book in your therapy room? I hope this post has inspired you and helped lighten your lesson planning load during the busy Fall season!! Thanks again Kristine for having me. I hope you are enjoying motherhood. Visit my blog, facebook, TPT, instagram and Pinterest for more ideas and resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment